The facade of Arsenal's magnificent East Stand is one part of Highbury that remains in place despite the Club's move to Emirates Stadium and the demolition of their old home.
The East Stand, containing the famous Marble Halls, is a Grade II listed building. Built in 1936 to compliment the Victorian houses in the surrounding area, it was constructed in the Art Deco style of architecture which was popular between the wars.
William Bennie, the man behind the project, used the Art Deco style which tries to modernise ancient architectural themes, drawing influence from many eras.
The main entrance to the East Stand has a Terrazzo floor embossed with the Club's emblem and was home to the bronze bust of the late Herbert Chapman. It also hosted the boardroom, cocktail lounge, dressing rooms, press facilities and main offices.
The stand was officially opened on October 24, 1936. Arsenal hosted Grimsby Town, but the spectacle of the new stand outweighed the spectacle of the match - a 0-0 draw.
Arsenal's first win in front of the new East Stand came two weeks later on November 7, when Leeds United were beaten 4-1. Kirchen, Drake, Davison and Milne all scored.
Copyright 2022 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.